AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how do you backup all your important files?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

YawLes
Posted 8/21/2017 20:12 (#6201869 - in reply to #6201519)
Subject: Disaster recovery methodology

Having been a Network System admin, I was responsible for the backing-up of nearly 100 servers on our system. Here are a few tips that we followed that can prevent a disaster:

#1 - Have three copies of your data (not including your original)
#2 - Have the copies on at least two different media - eg. One local hard drive, plus one cloud - because there are times when the speed of a local back-up to recover from will save you from forcably removing massive quantities of your hair while waiting for a nameless/faceless techie from "Cloud-land" gets back from break to find and get your recovery files sent back to you. (Yes, some services are self-service)
#3 - Make sure at least one copy is off-site - you can't recover from a disaster of a fire, flood or tornado if your backup drive has gone off to see the Wizard with Dorothy & Toto.
#4 - If you're syncing data, make sure it's a one-way sync to the cloud, otherwise the cloud may see that you are suddenly missing a file or folder, and delete it on the cloud server as well.

We had a Legato system with clients installed on each server - not for the faint-of-heart. But we did have available from Legato a nice workflow for backing-up the servers.

Sunday was a full back-up of all servers, including the operating systems. Then Monday morning, I would collect those back-ups and walk them over to another building on campus for secured, off-site storage. I would also bring back to the server room the previous week's full back-up media for re-cycling in the media pool.

Monday thru Saturday, an "incremental" back-up was done - meaning only files that had been changed would be backed up.

The first of each month, a set of full back-up media was taken to the off-site storage, labeled and kept for a full year.

Hope this helps.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)