AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case IH Combine Steering Problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Expensive Hobby
Posted 8/18/2017 23:11 (#6196415)
Subject: Case IH Combine Steering Problem

NW Missouri
I did something stupid last year when I was in a hurry...

One of the hydraulic hoses that hook to the bean head went bad on my 2188. I put a new one on, fired it up to check for leaks, everything looked good, so I went and topped off the oil - with it still running.

Before that moment, I had never had an issue with the steering on the combine. But from that moment on, I have. At first, it steered terribly hard in both directions. Dad has bad shoulders, and he couldn't hardly operate it. Over the rest of the season, it did get better, but it was still tight about half the time - usually turning to the left. Running it in the field isn't so bad now, but it is dangerous taking it down the road, because you never know when the steering will stiffen up, so you have to put your muscle into it, which usually results in oversteering to the left. I need to get it fixed before this harvest.

I assume it has air in the system somewhere. I took each line loose at the steering cylinder, and ran a bunch of oil out of them, and never got any air out of it. I did have a pump go bad later on in the season (the outside pump above the batteries) and I asked the Case mechanic about the steering while he was replacing the pump. He told me he thought that the steering ran off the pump he was replacing, so maybe that would fix it. It didn't.

Any ideas?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)