AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are these?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/19/2017 06:51 (#6196581 - in reply to #6195776)
Subject: RE: What are these?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Lone Wolf Picker - 8/18/2017 16:54

Wheel speed magnets for a Raven monitor. To give you ground speed on the monitor. J

Raven magnets is correct. One color is a North pole and the other color a South pole. They would be installed so the colors alternate as the wheel turns. This means than an even number of magnets would be needed. Four is typical although some systems only used two. With an extremely large wheel and slow speed, more pairs can be used, This might be necessary in extreme cases since the pulses might be coming in so slowly that the speed reading drops out.

The alternation between magnets is necessary since the Raven ground speed sensor uses the Hall effect where one pole "latches" the circuit and the other "Unlatches" the circuit to ground. This produces pulses relative to the ground speed.

The Raven system continually counts how many of these pulses it detects in a given amount of time and multiplies this count by the speed cal number to ultimately convert this to Miles/hour and other speed readings.

The wedges can be used when the magnet is bolted on a wheel where the existing holes are tilted. The wedges can be used to "square up" the magnets relative to the sensor. These magnets are very strong and a fairly wide gap relative to the sensor is acceptable. A 1/2" gap is fine. I have seen them continue to work when the entire wheel is coverd with mud.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)