AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Soybean fungicide recipe - preventative vs. curative
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 7/22/2017 22:47 (#6143218)
Subject: Soybean fungicide recipe - preventative vs. curative

C IL
On the advice of our agronomist, we used a soybean/fungicide mix last year of Quadris Top/pyrethroid/NIS. Theory being that the observed synergistic effect of the two kept beans green longer and leaves healthier to fill pods a week or two later in the fall. As opposed to addressing any known existing fungus or insect issue that was lowering yield. No historical record of much bean disease, but we planted continuous corn for a decade before the last few years.

We had what I thought was a decent response in the face of pretty fantastic late summer weather with lots of rainfall that kept the plants green due to moisture. Enough to pay for the app plus a little profit, by my measurements.

Fairly dry here now, hoping for later season rains to keep a higher-yield soybean streak alive. 60 bu beans have been profitable, 70 bu beans have been great, 80 bu beans have been an unexpected pleasure. Amazing to see spots at 90+. Thinking a fungicide app again lengthens that window again for rains to help boost yield.

So ... question is, if we don't have an existing issue, do I get any mileage from the curative (difenconazole) in the Quadris? Been pretty dry here overall, low humidity until these past few days. Minimal fungus presence based on current scouting.

My current theory is to spray straight azoxystrobilurin (preventative) plus pyrethroid/NIS. I am assuming that gets me the effect of delaying senescence/maintaining leaf area index which seems to be the key factor in this theory.

Anyone who has firsthand experience or actual agronomy knowledge care to shoot this down? I can throw in a conazole (Tebuconazole?) if that is part of the known synergistic effect. I just don't see much disease out there.

Doesn't take many bushels to pay back an app of generic azoxy + pyrethrin. Does seem to make for green stems and rotor roping.

Edited by sand85 7/22/2017 22:50
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)