AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Puff - bull catch how-to
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

srsu99
Posted 7/23/2017 23:58 (#6145327 - in reply to #6140690)
Subject: RE: Puff - bull catch how-to

Central / West Texas

IMO that looked pretty tame compared to some of the gatherings I have been involved with.  Our pens are 6' high pipe with no climb netting and still some things climb over! In West Texas, where ranches are sections instead of acres, cattle sometimes only see a person twice a year, if then.  When they do, those people are doing something to them they don't like.  We gather twice a year.  Get what we can on horse, then after a month of that the rest gets brought up with a heli.. Those go to packing house, as you will never gather those with a horse.  When the pasture is declared vacant anything else we see gets shot.  I have deer by my house in central Texas that are more tame than some of the west texas cattle.  Yes, it is wild out here.  Not for the faint of heart.  Typical day during roundup- Get on a horse at daylight, ride for 10- 15 miles, get on another horse that is at a set of pens and gather all day.  Then go back to pens and resaddle back to the horse you came in on and ride it back home.  Get up next morning and do it all over again.  Rinse and repeat for 2 weeks.  Before we started using  a heli, we roped all the wild stuff we could.  Mixed results...  Some of the cattle got broke up too much to sell.  Most times it was to far off the road to get a trailer to.  Anytime you rope anything wild out in the open you risk horse and personnel.  All kinds of things can happen real fast.  We tried darting them,  mixed results there too.  Best thing we have found is heli tries to run them to pens.  If that doesn't work it just isn't worth the time or risk.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)