AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Simple remote relay hookup, but I want to make sure
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/16/2017 13:55 (#6129412 - in reply to #6128981)
Subject: RE: Simple remote relay hookup, but I want to make sure

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
From my experience, I would say it depends on how the remote/relay is designed. Some of the remotes that I have worked with have a jumper on them that can be placed in one position or the other. The term that is used is "latched" or "momentary".

With the jumper in the "latched" position, the circuit is closed between the common and the Normally Open terminals when the button is pushed and the relay stays that way even after you release the button. You would need to push the button again to get it to "unlatch". Any application might be a bank of lights. Push the button and release and the lights come on and stay on. Push it again and they go off and stay off.

With the jumper in the momentary position, the circuit is closed between the common and the Normally Open terminals when the button is pushed but the relay releases when the button is released. If this were connected to a bank of lights, the lights would go on when you pushed the button but go off when you release it. It sounds as if this is what you want as you state that you want it to be ON only while you hold the button.

Your remote/relay may or may not have this ability. I'm betting that it does. This should have been indicated in the spec sheet. It is difficult to see on the picture but when I zoom in I believe I see a jumper on the upper left corner of the board. It appears to have a strange symbol to the right of it. I'm thinking that symbol may represent that the board is set to latched with the jumper there. I'm guessing that if the jumper can be moved to the upper position that this may change the behavior to momentary. If you got any documentation it should refer to this. With my latest Chinese remotes, they did not come with documentation but it was available online.

I have used remotes like this in a variety of places. One is for the Air Compressor system in my rather large shop. I have an Air Valve and relay on the Air Compressor so it can be shut off when not in use. I used to have the switch to do this by the shop door with a light on it. This worked fine but was not handy if I was on the far side of the shop and need the compressor ON with my hands full as I would have to walk over to the door. I incorporated a remote relay board somewhat like yours and have remote transmitters on the wall at various places around the shop. With these I can turn ON or OFF the air system from many locations.

I pieced together a remote setup for my shop door and lights. It has four separate buttons and four relays (actually the same relays as are in your picture). Each channel has a jumper on it that can be set for latched or momentary. I use three of the four channels to mimic me hitting the UP, DOWN and STOP buttons of the 3 button box remote by the door. I use the fourth channel to work with a contactor that turns on the shop lights. I have the channels working with the door set as momentary so they mimic pushing and releasing the UP, DOWN or STOP buttons. I have the channel going to the light contactor set in latched position so the lights will switch to their opposite state (ON if OFF or OFF if ON) by pushing the button. In my case I wouldn't want to have to continue to hold the button to keep the lights ON or OFF.

The coiled up wire is the antenna and has been coiled to take up less space forshipping. It should be straightened out as much as possible. I usually put the assembly in a plastic box and drilled a small hole so the antenna could hang outside the box.

Edited by tedbear 7/16/2017 14:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)