AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ Steer, EZ guide plus pass to pass problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/21/2008 07:05 (#512388 - in reply to #510369)
Subject: RE: EZ Steer, EZ guide plus pass to pass problem

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I had somewhat the same problem. I was applying NH3 with my 8120 with a 332 (WAAS this time of year) and Trimble autopilot with an Insight controlling the NH3.

This was working very well until I got to a field where manure had been spread. The 8120 is not weighted very heavy and I was having traction problems as well as being a bit short on horsepower.

Since the 8310 was available I decided to switch to it. The 8310 has inner wheel weights and a three point weight box as well as front end weights. The extra horsepower was also welcome.

The 8310 uses a Trimble autopilot and is run with an EZ-Guide 500 using WAAS at all times.

At first I had a difficult time getting the EZ-Guide 500 to work with the new swath width. The bar was 32' 6" whereas the previous implement was 12' 6". I was in Advanced mode and reset the guidance pattern to set a new AB line. I drove along my previous pass and set the A point. As I approached the other end I set the B point and engaged. The steering seemed fine.

When I got the far end, I turned around and visually lined up with the next pass and engaged. The steering turned the tractor too wide. It was then that I realized that the autopilot had locked on pass 3L rather than 1L as expected. Visually it appeared that the passes 1L, 2L and 3L were the "old" width from the previous implement. The visual swath width for the AB line had appeared wider as expected.

Hitting the Information screen showed my swath width to be 32' 6". I tried resetting the AB line with the same result. The AB line was the correct width but turning around the new passes were too narrow.

I tried resetting again using the A+ pattern this time. Again virtually the same result.

Finally in desperation I changed the EZ-Guide 500 to EASY mode. I then reset the AB line again. I was asked the set of questions about width, offset etc. This time the process was successful.

The steering from that point on worked correctly in that respect but seemed to have the drift problem mentioned above. It seemed as the NH3 bar was at times pulling to one side (which I suppose was possible). The EZ-Guide 500 showed the steering to be correct and the Insight map agreed but visually I could see that some passes were a bit wide and others a bit narrow.

It seemed strange that I did not have that type of problem at all with the other tractor. I would think that the quality of GPS from the 332 and EZ-Guide 500 (both using WAAS) should be similiar.

Edited by tedbear 11/21/2008 07:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)