AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gleaner Combines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

brad c
Posted 11/18/2008 09:23 (#509891 - in reply to #509553)
Subject: Re: Gleaner Combines

Carbondale, KS
I typed this on another forum. Didn't want to retype it all so just copied and pasted it here.

I'll start w/the engine. I would want to know the history of that machine as far as how well it was kept and maintained!!! We absolutely loved the deutz engine UNTIL (always a but) that thing developed a head leak. WHAT A FRICKIN NIGHTMARE! Look for any, i mean any, oil or buildup around the jugs. If you see any then don't buy it...if you are tempted to overlook the problem, kill the urge by hitting yourself in the head w/a hammer until the temptation subsides. 2300+ hours should have had a fan replaced imo - pop the side engine panel off and look - fan is on the right side of the motor. Sharp flemsy egdes means it hasn't been and should've been about 600 hrs earlier. Ask if the valves have been adjusted - they run tight and probably need to be ck'd every once in a while. Also, take a flashlight and look thru the coolers, air to air cooler is closest to the rotor access door - hydraulic oil is the one looking at you when you are looking at the engine and the engine oil is the lower left (shooting down to the floor) of the hydraulic cooler. If they are dirty, then it is another sign of lack of care and the machine should be avoided. If tempted, see control method above. On the 'back' side of the motor (intake/exhaust side) look in and around the panel covering the jugs, again looking for dirt and oil. A small pocket flashlight is handy for this part. After all this negativity I will say if it has been taken well care of or if the engine heads have been reworked i wouldn't be afraid of it. It has plenty of horsepower for the machine i think and is very fuel efficient. We avg less than a gallon per acre.

A 20' head will be no problem for that combine - a 25' or 30' would be a better fit. We ran a 6 row corn head but really an 8 would be no problem either. W/a 6 row head we could run 4.5mph in 200+ bu corn w/no problem. 4 mph is all we could run w/our flex head as we would overrun the crop - could fudge that more in wheat than beans.

The cab is ok, probably the 'worst' at the time but it is ok.

Ck the grain bin floor - it likes to wear just inside the swivel - swivel brkt likes to rust out at the cleanout hole. It does unload nice but really needs to be a touch higher. Ours would unload like 2.3 or so bu per sec. (timed) Ck both feeder house chains.

When the engine access door open you can look at the accellarator rolls - you should look down and not see the grain pan - if you have to replace them it isn't a bad job if you shop vac the trough out good and lay a piece of plywood on the seive - don't do it after milo harvest - lol. Helical channels that wrap around the inside of the cage should be taller than 1/2". Oh, one other thing is the cleaning fan shaft on the drivers side. If that is a threaded sprocket on there and you pick corn you will break that sprocket at some point. We took our fan out, after it broke, took a piece of 1.5" stress proof - turned the end down to 1.25 and bore the sprocket out to 1.25" plus milled a key way in the shaft. Small fix of a horrible oversight. Look at the sieves - they have a tendency to start coming apart around this time frame. In the grain bin there is 2 u-joints at the base of the auger - might ck to see if they ever saw grease in their life.

These are just some rambled thoughts. They are an easy combine to work on if something does go wrong not counting the motor. We really like ours until the engine issue. It still work fine after having the motor redone but left an awfully bad taste in my mouth.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)