AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Deere's new S700 combines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

TrackTill
Posted 6/25/2017 15:13 (#6089471 - in reply to #6085865)
Subject: RE: Deere's new S700 combines

Ames IA
So here is my question, is it subscriptions in general that everyone has an issue with or just the fact that you are having to pay subscriptions to mother Deere who sold you the $500k machine which is supposed to have all these awesome features and now you find out they want to milk your checkbook each year to use them?

From my experience it seems like software has changed from 5 years ago where you used to just buy a CD get a version of the software and run until that until the next one came along and you had to buy it. Now with our phones and even windows you just get the updated version of everything as it come out which obviously cost the providers something. I think there is no excuse to pay for subscriptions that don't offer real value through the updated versions each year and maybe that is the issue with Deere's model?

I know there is not an apples to apples comparison between new farm equipment and phones but maybe that is one way of looking at it? When you get a phone there are some basic apps that are included and we would all be pretty pissed if we had to pay extra for them, for example if I got a new phone and had to subscribe to an app that let me text I would be pretty pissed but there are other apps that I don't expect to be included and would happily pay for like my mileage tracking app etc. The biggest issue I can see is that Deere is trying to sell the phone (perhaps without the apps you expect) and then upcharge for their own apps, oh and btw even if you wanted some other "app" you cant get it because Deere is not selling an open system like your phone. You don't have any choices regarding the app providers. Perhaps that is why it is so frustrating?

Final question, what if you could buy your Deere machine bare bones and essentially install a new operating system on it that was open and let you buy any 3rd part apps you wanted maybe some even better then what Deere offers, is that a more attractive model to most?

Great discussion IMO I really think Deere and the other big OEM's will be forced to change soon because things are getting out of hand if you ask me especially when Deere trys to be a software company instead of what they are.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)