AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 4020 Clutch Troubles
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Playing In The Dirt
Posted 6/7/2017 11:32 (#6058919)
Subject: John Deere 4020 Clutch Troubles

Hello All,

For starters I have a '67 Diesel 4020, shifter is to the right of steering wheel 1-3, 2-5, 4-7, 6-8(I believe).

I'm new here and have been reading some posts on clutch issues with 4020's. Mine sat for a while and I went to use it one day and the gears would just grind when I tried to shift. I went to the internet and found myself here reading about how my clutch was basically rusted to the flywheel. I could get it going in 1st and shift into third by going down hill. I had the clutch pedal chained down the whole time and was trying to get the clutch to break free. I even tried dragging a 10' disc around and couldn't get it to break free. At that time all my hydraulics worked fine. I gave up for a few weeks because I didn't have the time to keep at it. I recently went to give it another try (clutch pedal still chained down) and trouble my surprise it slipped right into gear. Very excited, I shut the tractor down, jumped off and unchained the clutch pedal. When I started it back up, put it into 5th gear and let the clutch pedal out it didn't move. It's like the clutch is stuck out now and won't engage. I'm thinking "this is just great!". Frustrated I head back to the internet and find myself here again reading about how I might have a check valve issue or the suction screen may be plugged up or the pump might even be shot. So I start with checking the suction screen. I take the plug out and a spring comes out about 3" long(I figured it was used to put pressure on the screen). I reach my finger in there to try and pry a screen out and can't really feel anything. I tried to reach something with a small pick, which bottoms out about 3" in, but can't feel anything to pull on. I'm assuming this is the screen I'm feeling about 3" in but I don't know how else to try and remove it. I have the filter out at this point and when I turn the engine over hydraulic fluid comes out (I believe this indicates the pump is working). I'm not entirely sure how to drain fluid completely, I don't see a drain a plug, I figured once I took the filter off and plug for suction screen it would drain itself. I bought a new John Deere filter and figured this was a good time to replace it while I was going through all this.

So that's where I'm at... I'm not sure how to remove suction screen, or even if there is one. I don't know if the spring belongs in there or if it was put in there as a half-assed replacement by the previous owner who may have took the screen out. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)