AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power steering components for Farmall H
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

billw
Posted 5/31/2017 07:33 (#6046664 - in reply to #6045479)
Subject: RE: Power steering components for Farmall H

E. Kansas
You might check the IH forum on yesterdaystractors.com on how some guys have added power steering. I would look for a CharLynn torque generator, now called an Eaton torque generator since CharLynn product line is now owned by Eaton. They are still made, but are kind of pricey and as I understand have little if any interchangeable parts with the older CharLynn units including the seals.

There are complete CharLynn power steering kits on eBay most of the time, but most are for an M or Super M, not sure the difference of what an H might need for brackets, etc probably very similar. Various tractor salvage places list them for sale on eBay, so check with them and they might be able to help you or get you some pics of it installed.

I have my dad's Super M and he added the CharLynn steering in about 1960 from purchase receipts I've seen. It works perfectly, one finger steering, and I'm sure would do the same on your H. I think the biggest issue will be adding a pump and being able to fit it in without damaging/cutting sheet metal. My Super M has the pump at the distributor (live hydraulics) and it has a priority flow divider added in the outlet line from the pump, giving priority to the steering. It looks to be a very simple modification as compared to having to add a pump somewhere on the left side of the engine like most power steering set ups that I've seen on Farmalls. You have little choice if the tractor has a belly pump since that won't work for full time power steering.

Behlen also made steering units, but they're much larger and might not fit under the hood on an H or M (or it's an extremely tight fit) and they're usually mounted above the fuel tank right in front of the steering wheel. I wouldn't want that, but they work.

Edited by billw 5/31/2017 07:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)