AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

rock problem
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jimgen
Posted 5/28/2017 20:21 (#6042563 - in reply to #6042447)
Subject: RE: rock problem

central mich
We have used an old chizel plow. But for larger stones some farmers have a tool bar with about three heavy shanks and they do a pretty good job finding and pulling them loose or out. This is for potato ground prep on sandy loam or lighter.
Then once the big stones are out then the potato harvesters will get most of small ones after 4-5 crops but there are always some.
We had one small ridge that might have been always pasture and it seemed to have so many stones we had the 4 yd loader trying to find them and we worked on that ridge a lot with chizel plow, windrower, and stone picker. It is being farmed today but potato harvester has not gone there yet. There was a old railroad bed nearby might have had something to do with that.
For the last two days I have been running a tracked skid steer with a stone bucket picking stones and I found three or four that prob weighed 500 lbs or maybe more on ground that has been farmed for many years. (They looked like a small stone until you touched it with stone bucket. But most were 10-50 lbs I guess.

If the stones are small a field cultivator will bring a lot up.

Edited by jimgen 5/28/2017 20:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)