AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are bulk beans cheaper than bagged...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Expensive Hobby
Posted 5/23/2017 16:05 (#6033330 - in reply to #6032927)
Subject: RE: Are bulk beans cheaper than bagged...

NW Missouri
I just finished planting 420 units last week all in bags.... I know I'm not the target audience here, as a small farmer, but I'm saying it does happen.

I don't see the need to spend thousands of dollars so I can haul around seed when I can do it for nothing with my pickup. I have it delivered to my farm, unload it with my tractor and loader, and then load 2 pallets at a time in my pickup to haul to the field, which usually lasts me all day. And I don't have any little gas motors to worry about, or another tractor to have to move from farm to farm.

The couple of times I've helped someone load from a tender, it seemed like almost as much work as bags - you can't hit all the boxes without moving the tender - even on an 8/15 planter. Obviously the bigger bulk fill planters would benefit from a tender, so you aren't carrying bags all the way up the steps - but anyone who farms enough to justify a 6 figure planter can probably justify spending 5-15k for a way to haul seed to it.

Last I checked, where I buy seed, the pro-boxes were more expensive than bags - there was a convenience fee. I assume bulk is the same. I'd rather use bags for the same money, and I sure wouldn't spend more money on seed just so I could pay for a way to get it to my planter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)