AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poor steering on a 7120 Magnum with "Trimble conversion kit"
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

ccfarmer
Posted 5/17/2017 19:40 (#6022134)
Subject: Poor steering on a 7120 Magnum with "Trimble conversion kit"

Creighton, NE
Have a 7120 that I installed a Trimble autopilot on back in about 2009 or 10 . I did the install and had Case IH dealer come out and do the calibration with the program on the laptop, he had to come back once shortly after to tweek a couple settings and the thing worked flawless, drove straight as an arrow for 5 or 6 years.

Fast forward to 2015, wanted to update Insight to an Integra so had some decisions to make on steering. Ag Leader dealer talked me into a Geosteer system and using the Trimble conversion kit to retain the hydraulic valve. Since the Geosteer system was installed, the tractor has never steered worth a darn . Just can't get it to drive straight, if the response is too high (9-10), the front wheels violently swing back and forth trying to stay online. If you take the response down to say 5 or 6 it calms the front wheels down but then you get a lazy weave. I had the Ag Leader dealer out several times to try some different settings with no such luck on steering improvement. All the diagnostics in the monitor indicate everything is working as it should. It's really bad first thing in the morning, cold oil I suspect, and after a couple hours running you can bump the response up a little to improve performance but it doesn't even come close to the way the autopilot use to steer.

I do have a 7240 with a Geosteer that has the complete system including the hydraulic valve from Ag Leader and that tractor steers fairly decent (acceptable) but probably still not quite as good as the autopilot did on the other tractor. So it appears this system can and will steer these older magnums with good performance but it seems I have a fly in the ointment with the 7120. I'm wondering about the counterbalance valve that the autopilot uses and the compatablility with the Ag Leader system. There was no mention of it in the conversion kit as to removing it, and I'm trying to figure out if it could indeed be taken out of the system to see if that made any difference. This would mean that you would probably have to manually disengage the steering but I could live with that if it steered better.

This has been a frustrating deal going backwards in performance and I'm about to the point of looking for a used Insight with steering unlock and Nav II and have two monitors in the cab, Insight for steering and Integra for everything else. This is probably not a real common setup these days but thought I'd give you guys a shot and see if anyone had some different thoughts on this.

TIA
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)