AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I want to repair/create my own wiring harnesses. recommend me a parts/tool kit?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 4/29/2017 05:37 (#5988825 - in reply to #5988149)
Subject: RE: I want to repair/create my own wiring harnesses. recommend me a parts/tool kit?

Missouri
Lone Cedar - 4/28/2017 18:04
To replace contacts the "right" way requires a ratcheting crimp tool with die set specific to the connector you're working with, which can run $200+ each. With any hand crimp--even using the proper high-dollar crimper--I think reliability is better if you additionally solder after you crimp.

Soldering is not recommended, and causes more problems than is solves. It offers no benefit over a proper crimp, but offers several drawbacks. If you are using braided wire, soldering makes those wire strands rigid. The rigid section of soldered wire have to end at some point, and if that cable moves at all, there's a good possibility that sometime in the future that wire will break right past the edge of the solder. There's a reason you never find a crimp joint soldered on a manufacturer's cable. Then there's the fact if you fail to clean up 100% of the flux, you have introduced a corrosive agent to your electrical junction. On top of it all, the soldered joint offers no better electrical connection quality than a properly crimped junction.

If it will let me attach a file this size, I will attach a deutsch technical manual. It has a lot of good info in it, not all of it specific to their connectors.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments deutsch-common-contact-system-technical-manual.pdf (2604KB - 282 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)