AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Interseeding cover crops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 4/24/2017 14:00 (#5980041)
Subject: Interseeding cover crops

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

Had a big post typed out and then went to submit it and lost it. Anyways we are wanting to try interseeding some cover crops into our COC operation, we need the stalks for grazing in the winter otherwise wed have some more beans into the rotation.

Have a few questions for those whove had some experience with it. We will be brodcasting it this time around around V6 or so hopefully. It will be on a 15 acre strip that is a cross section of the ground we farm, irrigated flat, irrigated leveled up yellow clay hills, and dryland hills. Our main goals are to reduce and prevent compaction from cattle, overall improvement of the soil and possibly some extra grazing.

Ive done some research and Radishes come up as a good one for this, I like what they do for the soil and will for sure be added. After that is where I get a little fuzzy. I would like to add some kind of legume but have no clue which one, Ive read about Crimson Clover, Austrian peas, and Cowpeas, something that would overwinter wouldnt be all that bad, would the peas do well being broadcast? Any other suggestions?

What about ARG? Ive read that guys really like it for interseeding, and from what Ive read, it seems interesting, but Ive read the horror stories about it being hard to kill and getting out of hand. Also Im worried about a grass after and before corn, we already have some issues with resistant CRW and dont want to make it any worse.

What herbicide program are you guys using? Right now the fields are clean so there isnt much for a weed bank.

Any other info you can give would be great. Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)