AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight boom Pressure with PWM
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/21/2017 06:30 (#5974692 - in reply to #5974288)
Subject: RE: Insight boom Pressure with PWM

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The Insight can be run in automatic with a simulated ground speed as you have found. Another method is to go to Manual and adjust the flow with the UP/DOWN arrow. This is probably the easiest route for clean out.

I have created some Test Fields under a Grower called "Testing Purposes Only". I made a special configuration that I called "Testing only- Don't use to Spray". It has a manual speed associated with it whereas the real configuration uses normal ground speed. When I want to do testing or the pump to empty my tanks, I pick a Test Field and then the Test only configuration. This is easy enough to use and doesn't contaminate the real data in a real field. This can be used to clean out the sprayer or to check for leaks. When I had a remote system on a 4720. I would pick the test field, the test configuration, start the pump and crawl out. Standing behind the boom I could use the remote to turn ON/OFF different sections to check for problems.

The Insight does not use a pressure minimum but does have a minimum Vol/Min setting available. This is a way to keep the flow up to prevent tip check off or poor patterns during times of low ground speed such as waterways or avoiding utility poles. The system uses this value as a low limit for flow which in turn affects the pressure. This value is factored downward if some booms are ON and others OFF.

This value is set under one of the spray control menus. It would normally default to zero. Possibly the previous owner picked a Vol/Min that he desired to never go below. This does result in over application during the time the ground speed is low but this is often more desirable than having the tips check off.

With a PWM valve there are some other settings that may be getting involved. One is the zero flow offset and the other is the standby offset. The zero flow offset keeps some oild flowing so that startup time is reduced. This value to defaults to zero but can be increased up to the point where the pump almost starts turning. The standby offset is higher and keeps the pump running to provide agitation. I would check this as well and maybe lower this value.

Edited by tedbear 4/22/2017 06:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)