AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any info on Zeus virus.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 4/17/2017 22:28 (#5968516)
Subject: Any info on Zeus virus.

Got a call from someone on the Zeus virus. Windows 10 machine.

This is not on my machine just trying to advise over the phone. Not easy since I'm not familiar with Windows 10 , Chrome or Norton.

Pop up came up last Friday says machine has been blocked and should call computer technician at the provided phone number.  Screen shot below (I removed some identifiable info on either side of Browser Chrome line)

Obvious scam/hack/virus. Owner tried red X'ing out but it kept popping up. Shut computer down and re started and re-opened.

Got message that Chrome did not shut down properly and asked to restore tabs. Said no and it opened normally. Wiped all cookies, temp files; history etc.  Downloaded, updated and scanned with Malwarebytes shows up as clean. Full system scan with Norton also showed up as clean. 

I would have done CTRL ALT DEL and killed Chrome application from task manager and never clicked on Red X on on any part of the virus message.  I also personally never cared for Norton after I got burned with it years ago. Always hogging system resources and seeing another friend get a virus that slipped right through Norton and when she called them they offered to remove it for another fee. She said I already paid for protection that obviously failed. She would not pay extra and I managed to get the offending thing deleted for her.

Fast forward to today. Chrome opens on the problem machine with a gray screen and a frown smiley ?

Is this related to or remnants of Zeus ? Some Norton functions, some buttons and toolbar were grayed out in Chrome only

Microsoft browser worked fine.

Installed new updated version of Chrome and all appears to be back to normal ?

Is there something lurking that is left over from Zeus ? Will it gray out screen again in another day or so. I'm suspicious there is something still there.  Scans still show everything is clean. I was told there were some other downloads needed to remove but I had never heard of them and advised against downloading something that could wind up being more trouble.

Is there a free removal tool for this virus out there. Only other thing I have heard of was the Hijack this program. But even that I see various download and links to it. I had it on an old machine a long time ago but have not used it in years.

Looking for more opinions and advice to relay onward.

I advised not to log into any other critical sites or financial info until more is known about what might have a happened.

Thanks for any input.

(zeus.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments zeus.jpg (50KB - 221 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)