AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Being critical of the seed industry
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

P. Huffman
Posted 10/26/2008 21:28 (#491611 - in reply to #491475)
Subject: Re: Being critical of the seed industry

SW OH
I am sorry if I said that SC had poorer germ beans than did thier competitors, but they were no better. My neighbor did have some 85% germ, and yes you could see the difference in the field. I guess it just irritates me when a seed company has to put everybody else down in order to make themselves look good, when in reality it isn't true at all. I really think they just crowed a little too early. I do believe all seed companies are guilty of this. As far as the LL beans , seed breeder, said that he will put a Stine LL bean against a RR2 bean anytime. Stine will not be offering many RR2 beans until they are forced to, because their research shows that the "extra yield" will not pay for the extra cost. There will be many farmers to fall prey to their marketing powers. The data I have shows the LL beans outyielding RR1 beans. LL beans are about $2 a unit cheaper than RR1, Ignite will cost about $8 an acre, but it will kill glyphosate resist. marestail, that means value in these parts. I have a lot of respect for what Chris Jefferies has done , in fact as, a producer I appreciate it, this kind of competition is good. Their are pro and cons with regional companies and national companies, we have been closely associated with regionals in the past as well. I didn't mean this as an attack, just trying to reveal the other side of the picture. I agree a lot with what you have to say and I appreciate your comments. I will mention that most of the varieties that we plant from Stine will be tested on our farm before they are commercially released. Most of the corn hybrids that we plant are developed and bred in Indiana. http://www.firstseedtests.com/Reports/2008/B8OHWCeaton.pdf

Our bread and butter is farming, I don't consider myself a salesman, but a farmer/agronomist that tries to make products available, and dedicated to helping those who use the products we supply.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)