AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Portable GPS rock marker ideas ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Kamp
Posted 9/8/2006 20:59 (#42346 - in reply to #42322)
Subject: Re: Portable GPS rock marker ideas ?

Central SD
I mark our rocks while I am spraying with our self-propelled sprayer. At 16 mph I feel fortunate if I can get the rock marked within 50 feet of where it is actually at. I can understand what you are saying and being able to see the rocks w/a stripper head. It's hard enough for us to see them from the loader tractor in conventional stubble. But with the rocks being marked, we at least know we're in the right area. As far as being able to mark and operate the combine, autosteering would make it alot easier. I run a GS2 system in the sprayer for guidance and steering. But I have an Ipaq using Trimble Ag GPS EZ Map. The Ipaq is getting its corrections from the Starfire receiver. When I take the rock picker out I have a compact flash receiver with an external antenna that I use.(WAAS Correction) The Ipaq has a touch screen that I use to mark the approximate location of the rock . I try to mark the rock to the left, right or middle of the sprayer pass, so that when I go back to get the rock I know which side of the visual sprayer tracks to look for the rock. I got the Ipaq for about $400 and the software for $500 5yrs ago. It's probably not the cheapest way to go for just rock picking. But up until I got the GS2, I used this setup for coverage logging in my sprayer.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)