AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What doesn't the American Farmer get?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 10/13/2008 15:51 (#481401 - in reply to #481314)
Subject: RE: What doesn't the American Farmer get?

southern MN
My relatives left Germany 2 generations ago, I probably share some of the traits you are refering to. :) :)

The land subsidy here in the USA goes directly into land rents or land value - property taxes. Without it would be a year or 2 of adjustment, mostly hard on land owners & school districts which are funded through property taxes. The bucks per acre don't really do much for the farmer - it gets bid into the land cost structure & passed on to landlords & tax districts. Would cause a bit of turmoil for a couple years until land rents get readjusted to reflect the loss of this subsidy, but no different than a hail storm or drought to go through.

Crop subsidies are good, they help make up for low income when crops are in excess. Can live without them, they only kick in every now & then. Would miss these the most, but when crop prices are in the dumpster, a few cents a bu doesn't really make much difference any more. I think this type of govt aid is a good thing, in your country or mine, and helps keep a very large risk and large $$$ food production system working. I doubt you'd complain about these as they are based on need?

The crop insurance subsidies are kinda new, they seem to help the larger farmers present a smooth money report to lending institutions to get a level risk factor for large operating loans. I think some could be hurt by this being taken away, but wouldn't make much difference to the average size farm around me.

Some wildlife/ nature programs use govt money to rent poorer farm land from farmers, for wildlife use rather than farm crops. Many don't understand these wildlife programs, and think farmers are still getting money for not growing anything. Has little to do with farming, but the tree huggers & deer hunters have thrown together to use govt money to expand wildlife areas - just land rent. Myself I don't consider these farm subsidies?

I'd likely still be farming. Why wouldn't I?

Grain supplies were rather tight last year around the globe. Population continues to expand. I doubt the world could stand any noticiable acreage reduction in the USA or elsewhere? It's not like business is slow, we can shut the doors for a year & see what happens next year.

--->Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)