AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

computer monitor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Omar
Posted 9/28/2008 20:30 (#470994 - in reply to #469067)
Subject: RE: computer monitor

Elmira, Ontario

I switched from a 19" CRT to a 17" LCD and get more on the screen. The LCD is so much sharper that you can set the resolution to it's maximum (1280x1024) and still have easy reading.

That said, a 22" LCD wide screen has roughly the same vertical height (1080 pixels, can't remember the width) as the 17" and quite a bit more width. As was mentioned, the price on these is right. I prefer Samsung just because I don't have time to do a lot of comparisons. I've had good luck with them.

Just a word of advice. Text on LCD screens is sharpest at the maximum resolution. Also, check into Microsoft's Cleartype utility. I can't remember how I got that, but it does help with text readability.

I never run any programs full screen anymore (especially a browser) on the 22" (or even the 17" LCD screens). They are just too wide. You end up losing where you are when reading text scanning side to side with your eyes if the web page doesn't limit text display width. On the computer with the 22" wide screen, I run two programs side by side so I can work with and read both at the same time.

Finally, make sure your video card will actually support the settings you need before you buy. One computer I support didn't. I'm dropping a 35 dollar video card into that one to make the monitor work the way it was intended.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)