AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2588 with some corn going through rotor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 9/23/2008 23:33 (#467982 - in reply to #467900)
Subject: Re: 2588 with some corn going through rotor?

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Dittos on the retarding vanes. I run a 2166 with 6 row head. I often retard the vanes when changing from beans-corn. You don't need it for every hybrid, but it will help those that need it alot. I think it is a function of kernel release from the cob/cob quality. Also, it is a function of keeping the rotor full which in lower yielding corn can be a challenge. Sometimes the low yielding areas have screwy ears anyway with possible poor cob development or maturity issues from stress which compounds the problem.

Beating the cob with more rotor speed or tigher concave doesn't help as it often destroys the cob making small pieces with a few kernels on them.

On sieve/chaffer setting, I often run the bottom (shoe) more open than the top (chaffer) in corn (first learned it from Marion Calmer). It seems like once you have the corn off the cob, there is no need to run returns at all. Anything that comes over the shoe section goes around the returns.

So, my strategy is to shell the corn in the rotor and use air and the chaffer to clean it. Open up the shoe sieve and manage the chaffer for loss and cleaning.

This will be our 31st year with Axial Flow on our farm.

Hope you get your loss issues corrected.

Tom

Edited by notilltom 9/23/2008 23:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)