AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Life of anti-freeze
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WYDave
Posted 9/17/2008 19:03 (#462880 - in reply to #462605)
Subject: RE: Life of anti-freeze

Wyoming

If the pH is 7.0 to 9.5 (or thereabouts), you're OK. If the pH goes to 11 or higher, you must drop the coolant immediately.

Get on a SCA program. You'll need to choose one: The WIX/NAPA/Nalcool/Pencool, and the Fleetguard DCA-4. Either one works. The WIX/NAPA/Pencool stuff is more widely available, in my experience. If you have a bunch of diesel engines, buy a half-gallon of the SCA and a whole jar of test strips. Keep them in a cool, dry area.

You'll need to get the test strips for the additive package you choose - Pencool or Fleetguard.

When you change out the antifreeze, if you have a "complete" antifreeze package, take a test strip for reference.

Every 300 hours of engine run time, take another test strip. Add SCA per the test strip's recommendations. I often add only 70% of the recommended additive, then I'll run the engine for a few hours to get the SCA to circulate, and the next time the engine is cool, I'll pull another strip and see how much more I need to add.

If you add too much SCA, you'll need to drop the coolant again, because too much SCA raises your pH very quickly.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)