AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GS vs AL comparison test for yield estimation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 9/5/2008 13:05 (#452499)
Subject: GS vs AL comparison test for yield estimation

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Greetings to all,

First, I clearly want to state this isn't intended to start fights and 5th grade type discussions.

Background:

Recently I happened to visit with some owners of GS yield monitors who were discussing their relative displeasure with the GS product compared to their Ag Leader monitors (current or former machine(s)?). The biggest issue was that they felt the GS product did not estimate yield and/or yield variability as well as Ag Leader. They also were frustrated that JD did not seem to care much when they presented their displeasure. They would like to know IF there is difference and wonder IF there was a way to prove to JD a need for a better product.

These are not tech-phobic guys. My guess is that they were all farmers of size such that they rolled large combines and tractors often. They liked green paint but not the GS yield accuracy or handling the files. They do a lot of field comparisons and didn't like their data quality.

Disclaimer:

These guys also know I run red equipment with Ag Leader monitor and did not seem to mind telling their story (in front of a guy from the other side). And, since I don't run green, I couldn't offer creative suggestions.

A few were trying to think of ways to compare the Ag Leader monitor vs. the Green Star in the field on JD combines this fall.

Their thinking is that suspected inaccurate capture of their field variability limits their ability to take precision ag to the next level.

What say you?
Are you interested in such a comparison?
How would you do it?
Does it matter to you?

Frankly, I never thought of this as a problem and figure you guys probably have better thoughts than I ever could have on this issue.

TIA
Tom

Edited by notilltom 9/5/2008 13:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)