AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

buying soybean seed by seed count or 50 lb.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

OntariOtis
Posted 8/21/2006 20:27 (#37739 - in reply to #37381)
Subject: Re: buying soybean seed by seed count or 50 lb....Kevin

Ilderton, Ontario
Ron, This has turned out to be a good discussion. More points pro and con that I had thought of. Just to be clear, I understand what you are proposing. No 80K bags and such, Got you! But....The AB12 variety in my warehouse could come from 1 seed lot of 2200sd/lb, or it could be from 5 lots with 5 different seed sizes. If you want to offer fee/seed, each of those lots would then become a sub seed lot. All in 50# bags, or totes, how ever you have them packaged. but each seed size would be a new sub lot,each priced different.

This can be accomplished in corn because there is more margin in the seed corn business. Beans and wheat (wheat varies as well) has much less margin. Having said that, it could be done in the beans, but more margin would have to be derived from the market to do this.

You may not think this is a big deal, but it would be huge to the inventory and packaging infrastructure. I lived through the introduction of Poncho 250 and 1250. It took a single product and made it 3. All packged seperately. itemized, tagged seperately, priced seperately, piled seperately. Its BIG. It was so costly the seed companies decided to just not offer untreated (no poncho).

Having said this...I'm sure it will happen. The companies will sell it as a service and we will line up with smiles and pay for it.

I like what another poster mentioned, which would be a compromise between the 2 camps, and that is to discount the large seed. This would make some real happy as that is what they want anyway.

As far as who is getting the large seed? not sure. Its not me. Maybe it ends up going for crush? if enough say no, it wont be offered.

Again, great discussion....i like buying beans the way we are now....it gives me an edge, or perceived edge;} , but i will not have a fit if the industry were to go to $/seed.

Keep your stick on the ice!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)