AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

chopping rolls
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Von WC Ohio
Posted 11/23/2015 11:50 (#4914813 - in reply to #4914558)
Subject: RE: chopping rolls

Same here very dry corn and lots of light fluffy fodder. Seems by about 2-3 pm I had 2 rows that would just float husks and fodder. Enough that it would soon block ears from feeding in. Stop shut down machine and you could easily kick the loose material into cross auger and be fine. Never had that light fluff issue before but seldom ever have that dry of corn and long open fall with no rains to dampen up stalks.

Usually run around 2.5 with 6 row also in good corn and back shaft speed at fastest which is about 690-710.

1st picture below is how my 4 row 443 with knife rolls and stompers on every row would usually have stalks looking by spring. Lots of visible dirt and no issues drilling beans into this with 750 drill. 2012 harvest and spring planting in 2013

Next 2 pictures (1st harvest) with 693 and stompers on every row seems more coverage on ground and wetter /muddier soils that don't dry out. 2013 harvest and 2014 planting.

I did not even take any pictures this spring of cornstalk mess but ended up planting 30" row beans for the first time since about 1998 since it was the only way to get the slot closed with the Dawn curvetines between the old corn rows. That turned out fine but the thick mat on the ground is why this fall I only ran stompers on the 2 rows the tires ran down to try and avoid this matting of material. I like the stompers to cut down on tire wear on the drill opener gauge wheels and transport tires but if it makes so much of a mat that stays wet then I can't use the drill anyhow.

Maybe I need to consider getting a disk and disking stalks in the fall to get some dirt exposed. Tend to run higher pops as well at around 33K.

2 important variables though. Last 2 winters have turned cold early with snow that has covered things up for majority of winter. Both of those winters were followed by very wet springs with excessive rains which aggravated the drying out issues. Previous to last 2 winters there has been little extended snow cover that lasted or extended cold. So did warmer winters with less cover and more rain than snow help break down the stalks ? Did being sealed up under snow cover stop the decomposition ?

Interesting discussion just wanting to avoid repeat of 2015 spring dealing with cornstalks so trying a few things differently.

(0517031441.jpg)

(1106031028c.jpg)

(0528040819.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0517031441.jpg (210KB - 344 downloads)
Attachments 1106031028c.jpg (146KB - 298 downloads)
Attachments 0528040819.jpg (190KB - 267 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)