AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

2388 vs 9660sts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 7/8/2008 23:03 (#411975 - in reply to #411762)
Subject: all depends on how you set them

Kind of hard to make a blanket statement like that.

We had red one's for years, switched to green 3 years ago. Won't go back until Case gets a better cab, better controls, better flex head, better hook ups at the head and a better dealer.

If you are going to own it for years the red machine will probably be less trouble. However once you get past that the green one wins hands down in my book. Either machine will do as good a job as the other at harvesting and cleaning. Red might be a little easier to set prior to going to the field and be closer when you get there or it just might be I've got more experience with the red one's. Tinkering with the adjustment in the field is easier with our Deere than the red one we had.

To compare a Deere flex head like the 635 to a 1020 is like comparing a Mercedes to a Suzuki. I don't know if they have made any improvements in them in the last 3 years, but our 1020 required complete rebuilding every 2000 acres, we would have all sorts of broken welds and cracks in structural parts under the head. It gouged dirt, pushed piles of dirt or lifted up too high to get all the beans, never did have one that worked right. Corn head itself worked great, but they could never get the auto height sensors to work in the 4 years we had them.

Went to Deere, single point hook up is absolutely fantastic, we can have the head on and off in a flash. No more crawling around under it to hook up pins. The flex head floats and flexes like it should even over wet muddy ruts. The first time I got to run it I said it was the next best thing to sex. The auto height on the corn head works like it's supposed to, never have a problem with it.

If you have a fantastic Case dealer nearby and a long way to go to a Deere dealer it would be worth considering, but anything less than that and I'd go with a green one. Capacity would be a wash, but if I had to say I think the 9660 would have a very slight edge, probably more so in beans than in corn.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)