AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Regional Store Equipment in Shed vs Outside
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fighting suburbia NC
Posted 7/7/2008 09:35 (#410973 - in reply to #410923)
Subject: Sheds, maybe 3 walls, but usually no doors in mid-atlantic

Too close to Raleigh, NC
Got me to thinking - a few of the bigger operations around here have enclosed barns/equipment sheds but that is usually for maintenance areas. Due to our lack of snow load in the winter and moderate winter temps most equipment gets a roof over its head but not necessarily any sides and rarely does a three sided shed get a door.

On the smaller farms around here (central NC) lots of combines and cabbed tractors sit under lean-to roofs attached to old tobacco barns (tall enough to still get a pitch to the roof). Smaller chore tractors may get the benefit of sitting under a three-sided shelter built on the side of an old packhouse or tobacco barn but rarely do you see a door on these. These sheds were generally sized for smaller open station tractors "back in the day" and could not accommodate the more modern cabbed models.

Reminds me of a story the old farmer I grew up working for told - when he got the MF 235 he had to cut the poles and jack up the tractor shed to get the exhaust pipe to fit under the front eave. To this day the original poles on that shed sit on top of cinder blocks and are sistered to a pole behind them that is buried.

Edited by Fighting suburbia NC 7/7/2008 09:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)