AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grazing a horse in with cow herd
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 9/7/2015 07:46 (#4775258)
Subject: Grazing a horse in with cow herd

Driftless SW Wisconsin

My daughter found a very nice quarter horse which we would like to graze in with my cows.  I know very little about horses. She knows horses but not about grazing them with cows.  We do know horses should not be grazing alfalfa and I moved the group to a most grass paddock with a little clover in the sward.  This will just be one horse for now in with about 25 cows, calves and bull in a rotational grazing system.  I will not push the high density for a while until we see how this works out.

As stock talk is a great resource with folks willing to share their experience, does anyone have any pointers on grazing a very mellow disposition 8 year old quarter horse with a herd of Herefords? Or things to watch for?

Daughter put him in yesterday, walked him around the paddock, showed him the water and open grass paddock then took his halter off. The cows headed to the woods...

First question, while I know horses should not be grazing alfalfa, what about if I have a bale of dry hay out with maybe 50% alfalfa in it?

TIA

Edited by Jim 9/7/2015 07:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)