AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Annual Inspection stickers for trucks and trailers??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

RodInNS
Posted 6/27/2008 00:46 (#405329 - in reply to #405307)
Subject: RE: Annual Inspection stickers for trucks and trailers??

Yes, I believe any out of province inspection is legal here. Actually I shouldn't say ANY, but probably any that would pass for your interstate requirements.

As far as them going after inspection stations.... They do it all the time. I mean.. it's one thing for a light to go out 5 minutes after you had an inspection done. They won't hang you for that, but if you've got a windshield split from one side to the other in the middle of July.... that didn't happen yesterday. Ball joints falling apart, brakes with no shoes, holes in the body, king pins ready to drop out, etc. Basically anything that it's reasonable for them to prove were likely unsafe at the time of inspection. They have the mileage at the time of inspection. They have the mileage in the spot check. They can guesstimate how much something will wear in that period of time as to whether or not it's reasonable. Compliance will go after an inspection station for these things if enough stuff crops up. It was once pretty common that so and so couldn't inspect for a while, that sort of thing. Now they lose it for good, so most of them won't even take a chance on something's that's on the legal side of a marginal spec.
I had to argue over a set of spring pins and hangers a few weeks ago on that very issue and how much play was permissable. I didn't want to change the hangers plus the bushings in the spring eye which had to be removed for pressing out, etc... for somethign that will still be legal next year for the amount of work I do with it. So, after some discussion I put new pins in and they passed it as it was tight enough, but we'll be back to this same thing next year unless I change the hangers.
Some of this stuff is getting a bit silly now. Safety is one thing, but this...

I had a guy I know quite well once tell me that if he got his truck inspected at a certain inspection station, and a certain compliance officer happened to stop him in a spot check, he'd just peel the sticker off ON THE SPOT. Dunno how much truth is in that, but that's what I was told. Mind you, this character was well known to run just about anything that would go, so 90% of the time it wouldn't pass anyway, but that's a whole other story. Conversly, if he had the truck inspected at another local station, and the sticker was recent, they wouldn't even look at the truck.... so take what you want from that, but compliance knows what's going on. Quite well. I believe they know from the sticker numbering just who issued it without looking at the form.

Rod
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)