AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pump options....gas or solar?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GregChuckles
Posted 8/27/2015 21:52 (#4756984)
Subject: Pump options....gas or solar?

I need suggestions. All input is greatly appreciated.

I got a chance to take on some grazing land for fall grazing that has no electricity and has an old deep 2 inch well out in the middle of nowhere.

It's an old artesian, but no longer flowing for one reason or another. Water level is still pretty close to top of standpipe but can't get it to flow. 2 inch makes it difficult, really limits options for submersible pump options. They do make some really small ones that will work but don't have many GPM capacity and would run constantly, meaning motor life would be short and also run their solar or battery source down quickly.

I'm not overly familiar with solar systems, but what would be my options and how costly are they? Biggest problem I'm afraid with this option is this land will be used for late fall, early winter grazing, we get really cold at times and have prolonged periods without sunlight.

Would a small 4 cycle gas pump work for something like this? For example :

http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200585733_200...

Take some 1.5 inch PVC pipe and stick down into well casing say 50 ft or so and elbow it off and put banjo quick couplers so a person can go down there to pump daily into tire water tank and disconnect and carry pump up to shop. Would have to have weep hole below frost lime. Be kinda a pain but daily cost effective I think. Wouldn't want to go to larger pump as the pump has to be carried as you'd have to carry it by hand down steep hill into meadow where well is at?

Any other suggestions? Would do this until weather gets bad them I think I'd haul water to different tank with easier access. Give me ideas for hauling water in the winter? How big of a PITA is it going to be?

Options for keeping tank open?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)