AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Copy to card on insight question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/20/2008 13:40 (#381532 - in reply to #381377)
Subject: RE: Copy to card on insight question

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
The Insight has a built in memory card that you cannot remove. It also has a removable memory card that you do remove to transfer data to a PC.

As you were planting at least two files were being created. An .ilf file is being built and can eventually be copied to the removable card. Another file that is being built is what I refer to as the "snapshot" map of the varieties etc. for each field. This is somewhat like the .pfc file idea that the Advantage and PF3000 used. This file is associated with each field for each operation.

This snapshot file is stored on the internal memory card and can be viewed as a reference map layer later in the season. For example, while spraying or harvesting, this snapshot file can be used as a reference. When harvesting, the variety reference map can be used to do things such as automatic variety switching.

When you copy the .ilf files to your removable memory card you are marking them for "future deletion" by the system. The intention is that once you have them on the removable memory card you will soon transfer them to your PC and/or another storage device.

After a period of time the .ilf files that you copied will be deleted. The message suggests that the files are deleted immediately but this is not actually the case. If you copy the files to the removable card and then take the card to a PC and find that there is a problem, you have a bit of time to try to copy the files to another card from the Insight. Don't get the idea that you can always go back to the Insight and get another copy. Again the idea is to copy to the card and then transfer the files very soon before the card is lost or damaged.

The snapshot files that I referred to are stored internally and are thus available anytime during that year. The are not copied to the removable memory card during the "Copy to Card" operation.

Hope this answers some of the questions. Again copying the .ilf files to the memory card with the "Copy to Card" icon will not remove the "snapshot" picture of the field for varieties.

The .ilf files are not really a picture but contain the point by point data so that a map/summary etc. can be recreated on a PC with appropriate software.

Edited by tedbear 5/25/2008 09:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)