AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

locating used semi
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Cornstalk1
Posted 2/26/2015 17:35 (#4416148 - in reply to #4415961)
Subject: RE: locating used semi

Midwest
My experience was be prepared to spend at least $20000 in repairs and maintenance in the first year if it is a 750000+ mile truck. The first 379 I owned looked good and I paid a low price with the intention of probably rebuilding the engine and replacing the transmission. It happened and had a truck that was somewhat mechanically sound for a reasonable price. My second 379 had a blown engine in it and the guy that owned it pulled the engine and transmission out of a newer 379 that a driver of his rolled. Bought it at an auction and everyone was scared of it. I had stupid luck and it turned out to be good truck. The third one had a new reman engine in it and actually had the "set up" I wanted all along. Point is it takes a long time to find what you really want. Too many times when buying a truck you give up and buy something that is just kind of ok but not what you really want. My suggestion in an ag application is to go day cab, tall rubber, 220 to 228 wheel base. 10 or 13 speed , 450hp plus engine. spring/air suspension. stay away from trucks with wet kits or pto's unless you intend to us it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)