AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

AFS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/6/2006 08:31 (#33127 - in reply to #33031)
Subject: Using a YM2000 in an AFS equipped combine

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
It mightbe possible to use the YM2000 or PF3000 in some situations but this requires a special cable.

I got into a situation a few years ago where a customer traded a PF3000 equipped Red combine for a somewhat newer Red combine. The newer combine had AFS in it but the customer preferred to move his PF3000 display from the old combine to the newer one. Part of the reason that the customer wanted to do this was the onscreen mapping of the PF3000 and the fact that he used the PF3000 in other equipment.

The implement dealer agreed to movng the PF3000 as long as the old combine had a working Yield monitor (with the AFS display from the newer combine in it) for resale.

In othe words the PF3000 display would end up in the newer combine and the AFS display would end up in the trade in. Putting the PF3000 in the newer combine was easy as a cable is available from Ag Leader to do this. However, putting the AFS back into the older combine (which had been equipped with the PF3000 system) was a bit more difficult. Ag Leader does not make this cable as they really have no need to support that situation.

The cables both use 25 pin connectors, but a reverse wiring scheme along with a few exceptions was used. I assume this was done to discourage exactly what we were trying to do. Also the AFS display had the GPS "blended in" to the 25 pin connector whereas the PF3000 has it separate. After doing some "Reverse Engineering" and ordering some special right angle 25 pin connectors, I was successful creating this cable. Both combines worked as desired after the completion of the project.

Edited by tedbear 8/7/2006 19:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)