AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mapping tile lines.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/6/2006 08:12 (#33123 - in reply to #33096)
Subject: Re: Mapping tile lines.

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I have successfully used an Ag Leader YM2000 and later a PF3000 for mapping tile lines. I currently have an Insight but have not had done any new drainage lately. The Insight should work even better as the onscreen map would be in color.

Both worked well but the PF3000 was easier to use due to the onscreen map. The onscreen map allowed me to see which lines you had mapped. With the YM2000, I had to be quite systematic so that I didn't miss any lines.

On my home place we located the old lines and marked them with flags. I made a map of the old tile lines and then also the new ones.

My general procedure was to use different loads for different situations. By naming the loads, the eventual map was shown with different colors for different situations. I named Load 1 - Perimeter and drove around the outside of the field. This is helpful later as it gives you a "picture frame" of the outside of the field for reference. I named Load 2 - Old tile and then drove over those areas. Other loads can be created and named for tile sizes etc.

I would start/stop the logging with the switch on the Yield Monitor. In the case of the YM2000, it needs to be setup to "LOG WITHOUT GRAIN FLOW". In the case of the PF3000, a Site Verification congfiguration needs to be setup. It seems that an implement width of 5 or 10' was necessary. Setting the width at a lower number did not seem to work.

Many have suggested doing this procedure with an ATV. I tried this but much prefer using a tractor or combine without a head attached. The tractor or combine provided a much smoother ride and easily climbed over any obstacles. The combine was very stable and had good GPS reception as well as already having been wired up for harvest situations.

Once I printed out the maps, I made some hand written notes which I attached to the maps. The hand written notes consisted of the Lat/Lon of some places that I thought I might want to return to at a later date as well as some general information about the entire project. I used the SMS mapping software that I normally use for Yield, Manure, Planting and Spraying operations. I can bring up the map on my computer and locate the Lat/Lon of other areas if necessary.

I did this on my home place about 10 years ago. I am in the process of improving the outlet from this place at the present time. The maps/notes are proving to be very useful and I'm certainly glad that I took the time and effort to document the project at that time.

Edited by tedbear 8/8/2006 09:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)