AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Quick recycling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 12/14/2014 19:45 (#4240476 - in reply to #4240334)
Subject: RE: Quick recycling

southern MN
I'm not real scientific about it. I have 38 acres can fence of 2.2 sides between pastures pretty easy, has maybe 2 acres of grass/field road in it.

I plant 5-15 acres of oats for grain and straw with the mix planted with, depends on the year. I sometimes have 5-10 acres of beans to try some sort of rotation. Anyhow always 20 or more acres of stalks.

My drill is set for 12 lbs of alfalfa; I put about half turnips this year, about half plow down (cheap alfalfa/red clover). Some years is closer to 1/4 turnips. I think it came out real nice this year. My seed place - Albert Lea Seed House - sells the plow down blend most years, already mixed clover and cheap alfalfa.

In my climate you try to plant oats with a bit of snowbank left in the corner, so never bother with weed control. The oats is supposed to smoother the weeds. This year was exceptionally clean, with the very cold winter.

Again in my climate its best to swath the oats and let it dry for 3 days, it might be difficult to straight combine this mix of mine.

Paul

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (167KB - 65 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)