AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to GPS, questions?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Herbie56
Posted 12/3/2014 07:47 (#4216713 - in reply to #4215688)
Subject: RE: New to GPS, questions?

Coles County, Illinois
Lets start first with brands. Trimble will not support end users. You must go through a dealer. It's good equipment and the dealers get good training just realize you can't call the manufacturer to answer questions. My experience with Raven support is satisfactory but I'm kinda geeky and bought my equipment from an Internet discount store. Ag Leader seems to offer the most complete support in my area. The local dealer completely installed a complete system on a non-technical friend of mine, trained him and even downloads his maps for him. From other people's comments the manufacturer will support end-users as well. Cost was more important to me otherwise I would have went that way.

Although it's possible to install a hydraulic steer system on your 7810 the costs get pretty high and it takes a tech that really knows JD and his stuff. Steering wheel systems are pretty easy to install. There really isn't all that many different spline styles. The deere is sure to have a ready made kit. The windower may need some fabrication for an anti-rotation fixture. It's just a bracket the makes sure the wheel turns instead of the steering motor.

I'd recommend that you buy an install kit for each unit and power cable for each unit ($750) You be swapping the drive unit, display, antenna, and some cables between the two. I could do this in 10 minutes.

Accuracy is a debatable issue. My tillage tractor on WAAS (free) is quite a bit more accurate than I am. On row crop planting with WAAS I've went from steering with the wheel to nudging the line on-screen. I've decided to go to a mid-level accuracy for next year on the planter/sprayer tractor for next year. The main reason I upgraded is for consecutive passes. Although my rows on WAAS are much straighter than manual steering, I can very rarely use auto-steer later to follow all the nudging I did while planting. For you this may not be an issue.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)