AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scott moving ewes out to corn stalks video
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 11/3/2014 07:00 (#4158092)
Subject: Scott moving ewes out to corn stalks video

south east Indiana
I took a video for you yesterday. The ewes were out yesterday morning so I brought them up, checked fence and took out a fully charged battery. I had Scott move the ewes back out for me.
This is your Pre Viewing explanation :) I have mentioned Scott only has one gear or at least prefers one gear and that is Top Speed. He stops fairly well when I ask him to stand but Hates to lie down so he does not unless I force it. I am happy for the most part if I ask for a down and he stops or at least drops a couple gears. I should just ask for a stand but as you will hear I sometimes do not do as I should. A dog that works on his feet is really nice if I could just get a bit more response when I need s l o w e r. He is young and I would much rather push and to fast than concerned and to careful. I want him to work another 8 years or so, I am sure at some point I will be wanting all this speed and enthusiasm back so I try not to get to worried about it now.

The other thing is border collies naturally want to head stock and bring them to you so you will see him going to far around to the front and stopping them to turn them back instead of taking the flanks - the side commands - and walking in from the sides and not going to far to the front. I need to walk with him with a smaller group and put him on a long line and get him stopping and walking in when I say There. Always something to improve on for the dogs and myself.
Usually when I move sheep I am in front on the 4 wheeler so he just handles bring the bunch without instruction. I can't video from the front - I cant go as fast he wants to bring them and drive backward and video, I would wreck. Way to many moving parts to keep track of. You wouldn't see much of the dog either but it would have been a lot shorter video. :)
Far from perfect but you can see actual work and him getting a job done.
so here is the link http://youtu.be/n2NdBvIA1Lk
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)