AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

placed feed bunks along corral wall (pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/28/2014 10:17 (#4148684 - in reply to #4148611)
Subject: RE: placed feed bunks along corral wall (pic)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

That's a reasonable observation and comment. I don't take it as flaming.

I am still very much for having the cattle do the work. I am still "finishing" steers (and now growing out retained, open, heifer calves) by grazing standing continuous strip tilled CoC.  I am also retaining most heifers and trying to grow my herd internally. I am not purchasing any animals except a registered bull every couple years. My basic goal is as it has been to raise the most high quality beef PER ACRE that I can.

As my herd numbers grow it is also obvious to me that since I work alone with no help, I need to set up for a minimum labor input. Working 50 pairs by yourself (except for my vet twice a year) takes some planning and facilities. While I don't admit it, I am not getting any younger and I do plan on keeping cows for many years yet, God willing.

Having to purchase large bales of very average grass hay at $250 a large round bale or over $300/ton in the spring of 2013 when I ran out also told me I need to change some things.  Here in SW Wisconsin we have to feed stored feeds for 6 months out of the year. Having beef cows it seems like the only way to turn a profit is to produce all of your own feeds and minimize purchased consumable inputs.

Dairy may be able to support high hay prices but not beef cow/calf. Having a custom operator bag a few acres of corn silage and occasionally putting a loader bucket in a wagon over the winter really cuts my winter hay consumption and keeps cows in good condition. Corn grazed or bagged produces more feed per acre per year than about anything else I can grow. And, using newer methods, I can raise good corn with very little labor and equipment expense.

In the end it comes down to having a positive ROI. My cattle are a business, not a hobby. I look at the ROI on everything I do. At today's cattle prices and interest rates, the ROI on modest cow/calf facility and equipment improvements can look pretty good.

In any business, there is nothing wrong with investing in some facilities and equipment IF, over time, they produce more than they cost as well as make working alone more feasible. I don't intend to "cash out" any time soon. I want to wear everything out! ;-)

Thanks for the honest comments.

Jim

Edited by Jim 10/28/2014 10:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)