AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Flushing Cows
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SOILcattleman
Posted 10/11/2014 20:43 (#4120584 - in reply to #4120425)
Subject: RE: Flushing Cows

West Salem, Illinois
Two very good embryologist clinics near central Illinois, first is Huel's ET, Altamont second is Double Diamond Genetics, Chrisman. Both will do on farm work and last I knew both had clinics where you can take your animal to be flushed or can make arrangements for the animal to be housed there and the Doc's will flush them for you to the bull or bulls of your choice.

The process first involves getting to know your "donors" heat cycle than you use drugs to cause the animal to "super" ovulate. These shots will usually be given over a three day period and be morning and evening. There are several ways but a lot of protocols call for the animal to be CiDR'd the CiDR will than be pulled you will observe the animal for a standing heat, than breed the animal usually requiring three doses of semen given over a period of time. Seven days after breeding the Embryologist will "flush" the eggs they will view them under a microscope and sort them by fertilized or not and than according to grade. Any animals that you plan to use as recipient has to be in the same state as the Donor so they have to be seven days past a standing heat. So that the Embryo's are implanted into a like environment. The embryo's can be put in fresh at time of flushing, so the recipient's must have been in heat the same day as the donor. The other eggs can be frozen, they are frozen similar to semen, and thawed much the same way. The last animal I flushed produced 6 viable eggs they were grade 1 and 2's I froze all of the eggs the cost was just shy of $1200. I hope to put them all in next year and will be tickled to death with two live calves from the six embryo's.

If you wouldn't mind a suggestion I would recommend an OCC bull if you wanted to stay Angus or Steel Force, Combustible for 1/2 bloods. Might also add you should probably look for a bull with sexed semen to flush with because as soon as you use conventional semen you will end up with all bulls!

Edited by SOILcattleman 10/12/2014 08:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)