AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about MacDon Draper platforms?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Redman
Posted 7/30/2006 14:23 (#31201 - in reply to #31129)
Subject: Re: Headers

SW Saskatchewan
CNH has transfered their in-house header production to the flexicoil plant in Saskatoon, Sask. The highway to Minot has been full of trucks hauling corn headers south this summer.

Now I respect Dave Frigstad when it comes to designing the 820 cultivator, think less of some of the electrical engineers that worked with the monitor system on the 5000 air drills but I really doubt that Saskatoon is the hot spot for corn header and flex table innovation.

However, the CNH yellow drapers continue to be built in the old Frigstad plant at Frontier, Sask and I believe the Cat-Lexion come from there too.

Macdon are built in Manitoba.

I own a HoneyBee, used it for Chickpea when that crop was hot, not as good as the JD 930 flex I bought just for pulses. As mentioned elsewhere, a pick-up reel does little good on a flex header so I replaced it with an air reel to keep the crop moving into auger- works but not very elegant.

Honeybee has a well deserved reputation for durability, but a lot of upkeep on that draper and knife when running in dirt. Macdon is supposedly less durable, but the knife design is better at keeping it out of the dirt, imho.

Tall lodged cereals, bulky pulses like peas, or Canola are a perfect fit for a draper. but the Case 1010 header is sure an awful lot lighter for going up ands down mountains- I have travelled too many miles with the HB knife on the ground and my tailwheels in the air with the 2188.

One thing--would not cut cereals with the flex header - doesn't feed.

And an HB with the flex knife even further out front-- give me a jeep assembly of some sort to carry the wieight, please.

Have a good one.

Edited by Redman 7/30/2006 14:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)