AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grass Baleage Experts .. Questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Supa Dexta
Posted 10/9/2014 13:29 (#4117077 - in reply to #4116451)
Subject: RE: Grass Baleage Experts .. Questions

NS Canada
- Been making baleage for 25 yrs now. - no expert, but have an idea of what works for us.

We've pretty well done away with tedding our baleage. And guys around here (we've even tried) simply mow one day, and bale the next - not touching the windrow, just laying it as wide as the baler will swallow. The top gets a little crispy, the bottom stays quite green, but the moisture seems to migrate in the bale and average out once wrapped.

This has lowered time and costs, and we're still putting up real good feed. If things aren't drying well enough I will rake and flip it over. I wouldnt worry about adding water for sure, I'd just try and get it baled a bit sooner.

Tedding = more trips on fields, compaction, fuel use, time, wear and tear, leaf loss... etc. So we've cut it out, and only use it for our longer stem, more mature dry hay we put up.

Here in eastern canada we get really lush thick hay, it comes on quite fast in the spring and normally we get 2 cuts. Dairy guys around can push 3 and 4 smaller cuts out, whacking the manure and fert to their fields.

Edited by Supa Dexta 10/9/2014 13:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)