AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

friends '86 pickup died
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gerald J.
Posted 7/31/2006 19:13 (#31543 - in reply to #31282)
Subject: RE: friends '86 pickup died its a FORD fuel injected

I had an '86 Ford 302 (5L) V-8 fuel injected. The first year of fuel injection in that size. It had a couple fuel problems, the last one killed it.

The first problem was it was leaning out when pushed a bit. That proved to be the fuel filter betore the fuel pump. In a round canister with the bottom removable. The filter element was cleanable providing you are willing to get out the 16" water pump pliers to open it up.

This truck had no high pressure filter after the pump. That was disastrous when the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm split. The other side of the diaphragm was connected to the engine vacuum lines and filled the engine with liquid gasoline. After that it didn't run. The computer code said it was the ignition module. It wasn't. The starter would stall (no wonder with cylinders filled with gasoline) and I replaced that.

After a week I gave up and had it towed to a local garage. And added them changing the plugs (first time after it was 14 years old). The fuel pump with no high pressure filter was able to hold injector rail pressure within specifications despite the split pressure regulator diaphragm. They were cranking with plugs removed watching liquid gas fly out and the starter ignited. Burned the line for the hydraulic clutch, the tape from all the engine compartment wiring harness and the left fender liner. Charred the inside of the raised hood, and if the second fire extinguisher hadn't worked, it would have taken the entire shop, with half a dozen cars and trucks. It put so much gas in the crankcase that when it was drained it had bronze speckles, two or three immediate oil changes. Cost them a lot of time to restore it to the condition before it burned, but it also oiled the clutch that they wouldn't admit the fire caused. It also got a couple more starters (lifetime guaranted from NAPA).

With a new fuel pressure regulator, it ran but had a tinkle. I suspect the top rings had been pushed down the pistons a ways. I didn't run it long but traded it in with the caveat that it needed work. Since the truck was liberally marked from hail, I suspect its next home was the local salvage yard.

Point, is check the fuel pressure regulator by replacement.

Though failing after 12 miles is more of a symptom of fuel starvation coming from some heating or lack of tank ventilation.

Ignition modules fail so rarely that most stores don't carry them. Coils too. My dad had an 80 or so Ford Fiesta that did have a coil failure that the Ford garage thought was impossible. A failing coil can run until it warms up then drop off ignition. His shorted to ground and started to burn the hot wire to the coil, but he ripped the wire off the coil and saved the car. With a new coil it ran faultlessly.

So in summary, three things to check:

1. fuel pressure regulator.
2. Fuel return and venting.
3. Coil and maybe ignition module.

Gerald J.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)