AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heart surgery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

JohnW
Posted 9/14/2014 11:07 (#4073734 - in reply to #4073282)
Subject: RE: Heart surgery

NW Washington
I had about the same diagnosis and had my aortic valve replaced 7 seven years ago. The docs knew I had a murmur and that something would have to be done, and after I fainted on the street while on vacation in Rome Italy they decided it was time when we got home. I was 67 when I had my surgery. I went in on Friday and came home the following Monday.
Far and away the worst part of the recovery is dealing with breast bone having been cut apart and then wired back together. This means no lifting and that you can't use your arms to push or help lift your butt out of a chair for several weeks. I also had to ride in the back seat of the car to avoid a possible air bag punch if we got in a minor wreck and walk around holding a goofy red heart shape pillow to my chest. But all went well and I am much better for having had the surgery.
I have a mechanical valve which is probably what a young guy like you will get which means you will have to take a blood thinner like warfarin for the rest of your life, which is a nuisance but doable. You have to watch your diet and have your blood tested periodically.
Make sure you have a good experienced surgeon and a hospital that has a lot of experience doing this operation. And be careful while recovering at home.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)