AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

silage storage questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sweetcorn70
Posted 9/7/2014 13:58 (#4060814 - in reply to #4060597)
Subject: RE: silage storage questions

Beefbiz - 9/8/2014 10:42

I've run the numbers, but it's been a few years.  I still lean towards the bunkers.  Less cost/ton and faster loading/unloading than an upright.  By the time you make a good base and buy 10 years worth of bags (and dispose of 10 years worth of bags) I don't think the bunker will cost any more than bags.
I look at a lot of both, and when I see the spillage around the mouth of the bag, I think shrink can be managed better with a bunker, if sized right, inoculated, packed properly, covered, and the face is managed properly. 

Depending on who is doing the feeding. I'm not any more, but when i fed every day there was no waste around the bags. We haven't put down gravel in a long time and the bag yard is getting muddy but this year the bags are going on asphalt. Next year will be a bunker if they get it built by then. Not by choice--the people in charge want it so we are getting it. My biggest problem is that even with a new chopper this year we still only get 200-300 tons a day, it would be better with a bunker but we don't have more help or a tractor to pack. So my preference is to bag.....once you seal that bag it's done. I would like to upgrade to a 9'/10' bagger instead of the 9' only we have now.

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)