AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fun teaching a kid to drive a tractor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

F150Mustang
Posted 8/31/2014 21:42 (#4049438)
Subject: Fun teaching a kid to drive a tractor

Southern Mn
Today was the final day of the local antique tractor show and i picked up a friends step son to take to the show. He is going into 5th grade and absolutely loves tractors and anything to do with farming. I know him pretty well and i know he runs rider mower so before many people showed up in the morning i put him on my dads Ford Golden Jubilee and had him drive it around. I had him back it up to the straw pile, drive up to the furrow the horese plowing had left, and a few other things to help him learn the clutch without any fear of hitting something. I kept a close eye on him while he was learning, as he was getting it down pretty good i started to disappear on him so he couldnt alway rely on me to help him out. I had him stop when the horse went out to plow just for everyones safety. But at noon i felt comfortable to let him drive the tractor through the parade following me ( i also asked for others opinions before allowing this). He did great, i dont think he ever quit smiling. After the parade i let him do some discing in the plowed ground and he was having so much fun i believe he disced all the plowed ground!

i dont know if there is a moral to the story but if your get a chance to teach a kid from the city to drive a tractor it is well worth it. There was another your kid out there also that was running a RTV and was picking up trash. Heard alot of good things about him also. To me the kids out there make the show, take what you know and pass it on. I intended on him him throw some bundles into the threshing machine but due to the wind we were throwing over the belt and i didnt want to take the chance with that.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)