AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Slurrystore manure pit thoughts and experiences wanted.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

behog
Posted 8/2/2014 12:06 (#3998027 - in reply to #3996785)
Subject: RE: Slurrystore manure pit thoughts and experiences wanted.

frederick, MD

Less footprint because they are taller.  Most concrete pits, above or in ground are only 12 foot.  So the diameter of the pit is much greater, capturing much more rain.  This alone can amount to a lot.

Our slurrystore was installed in 1994, it was  a used structure when we got it, so its over 30 years old.  It still looks new.  A few years ago we added on to it going higher, increasing my capacity by double.  Which is another nice feature.

They will agitate easier, the center agitation is nice.  Plus they are round so the liquid will circle, unlike a rectangular or square lagoon.

I don't understand the pump in the pit and the S pipe and hauling water the first day??  You need to agitate the pit, at least ours, for at least 4-8 hours before you start pumping.  Full bottom agitation for several hours, turning the center agitator every 30-60 mins.  Then you need to send a man up top using full agitation to the top to break up the crust.  Once the crust is broken into several sections the gun is pointed to the wall to created a circular stirring motion.  The solids will not start circling right away, you need to let the gun shoot manure to the side under full pressure for awhile.  Depending on the thickness of the crust, 30 mins, to a few hours. 

Once it get turning good, open the bottom agitator back up, and turn the bottom agitator every 30 mins or so.  It will now stir up on its own.  You may need to go back up top and check it later, sometimes a large chunk will continue to circle around but not get hit by the top agitator. 

Once we get it stirred up, I idle the tractor down and will only stir it a couple hours each morning and maybe an hour or 2 in the afternoon.  

One huge drawback to a slurrystore versus an in ground pit is you must pump the manure up to the pit.  This is another pump and pit to deal with. If the layout of the farm allowed an in ground pit to be push directly into, or to flow to by gravity, I would lean towards a in ground pit. 

If you have to pump the manure anyway, I would lean toward a slurrystore.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)