AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are any of you guys seriously considering retirement?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Posted 7/14/2014 06:14 (#3967088 - in reply to #3966822)
Subject: RE: It is a little old but look at the US census 2007 Age of Farmers report

Death comes to us all. Life's but a walking shadow
"The fastest growing
group of farm operators
is those 65 years and
over"

Things may change over the next few years but I doubt it. Older men are the only ones who have the resources to get in the game and stay in the game. I don't know any young men (or people) trying to get into farming but I know so already close to their sixties just getting started.

Remember something else, farmers are living longer. Back in the seventies and eighties farmers died from cancer due to pesticide use in the fifties and sixties, Even in the seventies they were still using pesticides like Premerge which were known carcinogens today's pesticides are much safer. People smoke less. Today you can get your heart fixed in your fifties and sixties and work twenty more years.

To answer your question, I'm at the age where most of my cohort are beginning to retire but I think I've got another good ten years (if I stay healthy). But if I retire and sell then I'll pay most of the appreciation in taxes. On the other hand if I die my children can inherit mostly tax free. So do you give the government half of what you've worked for years or do you give it to your children (not that they deserve it)?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)