AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Loud and big bass stereo systems in cars
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OldMcdonald
Posted 7/8/2014 17:13 (#3957904 - in reply to #3957659)
Subject: I was one of those Fools..

Napanee, Ontario
when i was young and in High School. I was a huge stereo and electonrics geek and used to compete in car audio competitions - yes, to see who had the loudest system lol.

You would not believe how crazy some of these systems can get. I had a little over 4k in mine - worth more than my car at one point - and in one competiton i hit 152 decibles with it... and only took 3rd place haha. The winner had about 3 times as much money into his.

To put that into perspective, a military jet taking off at close range hits 150 decibles. At 155, your eardrums ruputre and you are permanently deaf. So yes, you would indeed go deaf sititng in your car for very long without earplugs and these kind of volumes. Once you get over 115-120 decibles, you absoultely should not be doing the comps without them. I had reinforced glass in the back of my car window ...if that gives you any idea of the wattage this things can throw.

But yes, kids will be kids and it's no differnt than the guys driving around the jacked up 4x4's - just another way of getting attention and the pretty girls to turn their heads. I always joked to girls to come take a spin - it was better than your washing machine spin cycle ;) But for me, it was mostly about being enthralled with electronics and optimizing a system - you basically had to have a minor in electrical engineering to run these things. Capacitors, performance batteries, upgraded fuse kits, and complex wiring schematics - it was a lot of fun for me when i was young.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)